Chungcheongnam-do was established when Chungcheong-do was divided into Chungcheongnam-do and Chungcheongbuk-do through
the reorganization of the territory system into 13 provinces in accordance with Edict No. 36 in 1896 (33rd Year of King Gojong).
Located in the west-central part of the Korean peninsula, Chungcheongnam-do is bounded on the north by Gyeonggi-do, on the east by Daejeon, Sejeong Special Self-Governing City and Chungcheongbuk-do, on the south by Jeollabuk-do and on the west by the West Sea of Korea.
As proven by the bronze remains found across the Chungnam region and the Paleolithic remains in Seokjangri-dong, Gongju found in 1964, people have settled in the Chungnam region since the Prehistoric Age. Furthermore, most areas of Chungcheongnam-do were the norther border areas during the Three Hans Period. Wolji State (Mokji State) with the political initiative as the hub of Mahan at that time was estimated to be located around the present Jiksan-eup, Cheonan. It is also estimated that 15 small states among the 54 states of Mahan were distributed in the Chungcheongnam-do region.
Chungcheongnam-do was included in Baekje during the Three States Period. From the transfer of the capital of Baekje from Hanseong (Seoul) to Wungjin (Gongju) in 475 (1st year of King Munju’s reign) to the collapse of Baekje by the Silla and Tang Allied Forces in 660, the brilliant culture of Baekje flourished here.
Chungcheongnam-do was called ‘Wungjing Commandery’, ‘Soburiju (Sabiju)’, ‘Wungcheonbu’ and ‘Wungju’ during the Unified Silla Period, and was included in the Later Baekje established by Gyeonhwon during the Later Three States Period.
Chungcheongnam-do was called ‘Hanam-do’, ‘Yanggwang-do’, ‘Chungcheongju-do’ and ‘Chungcheong-do’ during the Goryeo Period and included in, and then separated from, Gyeonggi-do.
Yanggwang-do was divided into Chungcheong-do and Gyeonggi-do in 1396 (4th year of King Taejo’s reign during the Joseon Period) and the governor’s office was moved from Chungju to Gongju in 1598(31st year of King Seonjo’s reign). Chungcheong-do changed its name several times including Gongcheong-do, Chungcheong-do, Gonghong-do, Chunghong-do and Gongchung-do. Finally, in 1834 (34th year of King Sunjo’s reign), the name Gongcheong-do was changed to Chungcheong-do.
Chungcheongnam-do was established when Chungcheong-do was divided into Chungcheongnam-do and Chungcheongbuk-do through the reorganization of the territory system into thirteen provinces in accordance with Edict No. 36 in 1896 (33rd Year of King Gojong).
Copyright(C)2019. The Province of Chungcheongnam-do. All rights reserved.
21 Chungnam-daero, Hongbuk-eup, Hongseong-gun, Chungcheongnam-do(32255), Republic of Korea. TEL : +82-41-120